Monday, October 18, 2010

Nearly 1/2 way through...

Hello beautiful children of God!

I am sitting here in my Institute for Youth Ministry office, munching on my lunch- and I decided it was high time I record my thoughts from the previous few weeks. Today begins our 5th week of classes already...and I really sense time slipping away from me. Hmmm, I am almost 1/2 done with my first long-term semester (fall semester extends three weeks into January yet)...and I have 5 or 6 major (10+ page) papers to write. I am somehow in denial of this reality and find it more pleasing to simply celebrate the quick arrival of festive holiday months! But still, even Ms. Peppy Emily cannot ignore the daunting task of writing those somewhat exciting yet terribly long papers. I am pretty sure this is my most intensive writing load yet, but I have to remark that I will have ZERO objective tests. Thank the good Lord.

So, my classes have been going strong- and remain interesting, which is key to survival! My medical ethics class surprised me a bit last week. We had a former surgeon for the Princeton Hospital present on conjugal twins and the ethical decisions which arise from that 1 in 10,000 biological rarity. Today we are learning about intercessory prayer and the role it plays in patient recovery- and a moral ethic of "should you/should you not" pray. (I have yet to do the reading)

My feminist and womanist class has been great as usual. We read The Handmaid's Tale for last week and this week. It is a novel depicting an eery world in which all the racial and gender advances of the late twentieth century America were reversed by a "republic of gideon," which used a few literally interpreted biblical passages to support its male-dominated society...it's complicated, but a really interesting read!

So, that leaves Paul and Karl. I am occasionally interested in the theological arguments outlined in the readings and lectures, but it has yet to capture my full attention (sorry, Sas). I'm sure it's a wonderful class, but lately I have been much more engaged in practical ministry concerns, especially with the hospital. Paul and Karl obviously have something to contribute to that area of thought, but it can be difficult to connect the dots at times. I lead precept this week- and our articles are on the ontology of God in Paul's writing and how to speak of God. I actually enjoy this topic.

Okay- the hospital has been wonderful the past few weeks. I have felt more connected with my ministry- and more assured of my ability to make a difference. Also I was given the opportunity to sit in on a training for vigil volunteers. Basically the presenters (one of whom was my supervisor) reviewed helpful ways to "sit in vigil" with a person who is dying. The previous week was definitely my most intense encounter with the moment of death. I experienced it (to a degree) at the hospital, I wrote my own funeral, we discussed end-of-life issues in medical ethics, and I attended this vigil training. Whew! I never knew how helpful all that could be. I really appreciate it, even if it is extremely difficult.

So those are my encounters with God through school- and I must say, God is active in all areas of my life! AJ and I have been really learning from one another lately- both in wonderful and trying ways. I guess the first year of marriage is full of that sort of thing. :) This weekend was great, because we were able to serve at several church functions. On Saturday we helped cook and serve an Italian night dinner fundraiser- and were exhausted at the end! Sunday we hosted the coffee hour (which is quite an event at our church) -I ended up making a lot of cookies on Friday for the coffee hour, and we had left-over food from the fundraiser as well. On top of all the kitchen work, AJ and I led Children's Worship yesterday. Overall, I felt the past three weeks (two previous weeks we were invited my church members to attend special lunches) have provided ample opportunity to connect within our worshipping community, and I only become more and more excited about my summer field education at RCHP!

So that is most likely more than enough to read for now. I continue to love my friends here at PTS and RCHP...it is such a blessing to have a whole community of faith-filled, eager, fun, and intelligent people! And to know that my community of friends only adds to the wonderful people already formative in my life- I am one happy woman!

I pray that God's light of power and wonder fill your minds and bodies as you go about the regularities of your extraordinary lives.

Em

PS- sorry no photos today.

No comments:

Post a Comment