Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My final goodbye...

This will be my final post in this blog. This space has served me well for three long years of study at Princeton Theological Seminary, but life has taken me on to Newark, NJ- so I will be saying farewell to this blog, much as I said goodbye to my PTS community over 3 weeks ago.


As a final recap, I'd like to say a bit about how the past three years have changed me....

In some ways, the changes I have experienced at Seminary have been subtle and reaffirming, rather than any radical shifts in perspective. I have maintained my commitment to worshiping within the Reformed Church in America, although I have decided not to pursue ordination in any particular denomination as of yet (one of the aspects of ministerial life I imagined I would have figured out by now) :) In fact, all my experience with delightful cohorts from a variety of faith perspectives has solidified that I must continue pondering where God is exactly calling me as a minister.

In some respects, this faith exploration began 10 years ago when I felt a distinct call from God to follow Jesus into ministry with my whole heart- and I am confident this I have done- although I have never once felt a "distinct" direction toward ministry. It has remained a vague calling to service of my fellow humankind in the name of Jesus. I am excited to be involved in my final year of Social Work studies here at Rutgers. As I continue to pursue future plans for ministry of some kind, I am understanding that social work is a practical way to facilitate the kingdom work in the lives of Jesus' "least of these." I am thrilled to integrate my theological studies with my social studies, and I have faith that my life will bring ongoing moments in which a fuller integration of these two essential disciplines will collide in a positive way.

My graduation week was delightful. My parents came for a visit for the first time, and I enjoyed sharing my graduation celebrations, in addition to exploring Jersey. Here is a link to an album of photos from the trip:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.574061280539.2038526.110800880&type=3&l=dbadda6041


After I said goodbye to my parents, I had the terrible task of saying goodbye to my dear neighbors, friends, and prayer circles. Although I was emotional at times, I am beginning to get used to such transitions, and I found myself focusing on the task ahead: Newark, NJ.

So here I am, living into my 4th week as an RA of a house operated by my church's affordable housing corporation. AJ and I are up for the challenge, but it can certainly be overwhelming at times. We are finding our groove, and on this Fourth of July, I have decided to end this blog forever in recognition that our time in Princeton is most definitely at an end....we are Newarkers, :) and this is our calling for the next year.

My summer class will be over once I (hopefully ace) my final exam in psychopathology tomorrow, a stepping stone that leaves me with 6 classes and one intense internship before I graduate with my second masters degree! I imagine this year will simply fly by, and because of the sensitive nature of my position here, I have chosen to not blog about my experience. Even my personal stories will involve tenants and clients, a confidentiality I do not wish to breach for the sake of my own need to express myself. Thus, only short snippets on facebook shall suffice, unless of course my readers would like to email me with any questions- :) I would be happy to respond!

Okay, as I sign off for the last time, I'd like to end with a prayer:

Holy God of the finite and infinite- bring peace to your nations, bring grace amidst horror, bring love in the most unlikely of places, and bring all humankind to one day recognize your face for what it is: pure goodness. Bring me, your servant, to the places in this world that are ready to accept the ministry for which you have equipped me. I will always be your daughter, your friend, your admirer, and your humble minister.

With love and appreciation for all of God's goodness, thanks for joining me on this journey, friends.

Emily

1 comment:

  1. I can completely understand why you would find this a timely place to end your blogging journey, although I will selfishly miss your updates! I guess I'll just have to begin sending emails :) So many congratulations, prayers, and best wishes for this new chapter of your life. I am sure that what lies ahead will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete