Saturday, January 29, 2011

A New Semester Begins...

I have to admit- the past week I have been on break, presumably giving me ample time to update my blog. However, at this point I will refer you to my previous post. :)

To recap my past few weeks- I enjoyed my whirlwind of a class called Theology of the Lord's Supper. We really dug into the major theologians representing a majority of Christian eucharistic traditions....and we also studied our professor's suggested ecumenical approach toward church unity. I must say, it grieves me that we are so far away from unity as Christians, and as much as I respect attempts toward ecumenical dialogue, I really have serious reservations as to whether we are capable of allowing variances in tradition to exist without condemnation. Time will tell...

Last Saturday (well, after an evening of girl-time on Friday) I finally finished my paper, and starting Sunday I've been on a glorious break! I did have to spend two days at the hospital being a chaplain (which continues to be a really fulfilling experience) and an afternoon working at the institute for youth ministry...but overall I've been doing fun things- like hanging out with my husband, going to the gym on a 'free week' trial, digging out of 15 inches of snow (it began again about 15 minutes ago), helping host a birthday party for a dear friend, baking hundreds of cookies (seriously), and cleaning, organizing (if you know me, this is a good thing), and overall feeling great about life!

I have to brag a minute. Only a minute, I promise. A few weeks ago AJ and I were having some minor bickering argument, which had been occurring relatively frequently, and I went for a run...which was amazing...and during my stress-relieving run, I had an epiphany. AJ and I are SO LUCKY to be together. I decided right then and there that we should start acting like we believe it. And since that moment, we HAVE. Every time something minor comes up, all I have to do is remember that moment on my run- and I am overwhelmed with joy in marriage.

There, that's all the bragging I'll do for one day. Thanks for indulging me.

Well, another development has recently occurred in our lives. AJ spent a few nights last week up in Newark at a house for young men and women who were without a home and somehow connected with the justice system. It is a new housing initiative through our church, and this particular house is still awaiting a house mentor...as you might be able to imagine, some unpleasant happenings occurred in the house, and our pastor asked AJ if he could go monitor the house for a few days. While there, AJ developed a relationship with a few of the guys, and now we have decided to go up to the house weekly and cook a meal, stay the night, etc. It should be a fun adventure for AJ and I this semester!

I'm sure there's more to tell, but that's it for right now. If I were really cool I would have provided pictures of all the snow here (think- South Dakota!) :) Alas, I'm still leaving something to be desired.... :)

I hope you are all well, if you happen to be reading this blog. Since my lapse in writing seems to be progressing at a normal rate, I imagine I may have lost a few readers. In any case- much love to you all from this winter wonderland called NJ!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment