Thursday, October 15, 2009

My New Home!

Hello to all God's children,

I am finally feeling at home a bit here in Princeton- and I have also experienced a few culturally-diverse activities this past week. Perhaps there's a correlation?

I'm nearing the end of my 4th week of studies, and that means only one more week until this semester is 1/2 over. What? Yep. I only got here 5 weeks ago and it's almost 1/2 over! Am I crazy? Well, not exactly (although some people would say studying theology 24/7 does make a person crazy) :) The deal is, PTS has cut their semesters down to 10 weeks for a long-term, and 3 weeks post-Christmas break for the fall short-term...which leaves us beginning our spring long-term in February. Ha, a little different, but I'm liking it!

Okay, I have so many good stories for you, I must begin. Last Friday night, a group of friends and I (btw- my friends here are really great!) decided to attend the campus "salsa dancing lessons" night. We (meaning another girl and a couple of guys) show up to a fairly sparse room- and before you know it, we are dancing the salsa, meeting people (more guys came than girls, which was a first in my 'dance lesson' experiences)....so we kept trading partners, working on our moves. I had a blast, even though I happened to be wearing negative-heel sandals (go brand Earth!) :) which gave me an extra calf workout! We then came back to the dorm, watched a movie, and at midnight celebrated Aaron's birthday! It was fun to feel like I was back in college (or on the rez)- and having a group of great guys and girls to hang out!

So, Saturday I tried studying, didn't do too much, but that's okay, since in retrospect, I seem to be doing fine on keeping up with everything. Ah, here's another tangent- I've realized that if I read too much (i.e. all the reading) :):) I simply cannot digest it all, so now my goal is to read MOST of it :) and to really process everything I'm reading. Good goal, right? :) Anyway...back on track...Saturday evening a couple who is originally from SD and currently lives in Princeton took me to their church and out to dinner, which was really great...and their most generous act of the night involved hanging out in the parking lot trying to jump my car for an hour. Okay, the jumping process actually didn't take that long (it was the re-charging that dragged on), but who knew how DEAD a battery could be after leaving the dome light on for...oh...an undisclosed period of time. :)

Sunday I enjoyed a BEAUTIFUL day outside, so sunny and brilliant! I need to take pictures for you all, because since we actually have lots of trees here, it makes for good scenery with all the colors! I will skip ahead to today. Not that the weather correlates at all, since it was miserable and rainy today- but still, I have another ethnic story...so it's alright, yeah? :) I'm sitting with my groupies (don't worry, I'm not clique-e at all) at dinner, and they suggested that I go with them to the Asian Social night (several of the guys are originally from South Korea). I'm all about learning new things (and trying new foods, in theory) :) so I agree. What I did not realize, is that I was about to take part in a form of Asian speed dating! That's right- in about 10 minutes time I met at least ten people! My only blooper happened to be while sitting across the aisle from this woman- to whom I casually mention that this is fun, since I've always wanted to try speed dating! Haha- well, I think she misinterpreted my statement, because her look resembled that of someone getting hit-on and not enjoying it! :):) I didn't bother to explain- it was on to the next person!

Oh, and the "bubble tea" or something to that effect was the "favor" of the night. I didn't particularly like it (remember my "in theory" statement above)...but my friend Joe kindly drank mine for me. Oh, I should give you a visual, right? It's like milk tea with big chunks of black tapioca at the bottom. It was all I could to not gag...but I smiled and slyly handed it off to Joe.

Anyway- my classes are going well- (I've gone to every single one, much to the disappointment of my fiance- who thinks I should at least feel the liberation of skipping ONE class)- we received our study guide for our Old Testament class...and if anyone would like to trade places with me that day, I'd much appreciate that! (preferably someone who has a pretty good grasp of the themes within several OT books!) Jackie Smallbones? :)

I have more to say (obviously, when have you known me to be done talking) :) but this is long, and in tribute to those with weary eyes, I shall sign off for now. I hope you all sense the presence of our good Lord as you go about your days and weeks. I am thankful for so much, as I continue to reflect on my passions and gifts while here, seeking God at PTS!

Much love,

Em

2 comments:

  1. I would go to your OT class. But you know my experience with classes at PTS. The major theme is Jesus, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, lets think about that Ksas- OT- major theme Jesus??? If you're reading a little too much allegory perhaps. :):) But in any case, I would love to welcome you to my OT class!

    ReplyDelete