Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February, Friends, and Love

Lest you, my beautiful friends, become concerned that I am no longer interested in blogging, I thought I should post once again...

Here are a few pictures from my friends' visit to NJ! But first..... a picture of a snowy PTS campus (something my friends did not experience)....


Picture taken from my window

A Van Gogh from the Met Museum

A Monet (I believe) taken at the Met


A photo of my favorite painting at the Met (artist: can't remember) :)



Katie and Nealy posed in front of the Egyptian Sphinx in a lovely room housing an Egyptian temple from 15 ce!


Nealy, Katie, and I posing right before The Phantom began at the Majestic Theatre!


My title to this post is quite lovely, I know. :) First of all, it's February and the ground is snowy! I am adjusting to this "30 degrees is cold" mentality, a nice change from "-30 degrees is cold" mentality of SD! :) And February 1st ushered in the new semester!


To back track, however, I shall explain more of my past week-long break spent with my friends Katie and Nealy from South Dakota. They made the trip out here to spend a week in rainy NJ with me! :) We had a fair share of relaxing and excitement. On Tuesday we headed into New York City (my 3rd time ever) to see the Metropolitan Museum of Art (my 1st time ever) and a broadway show (my 2nd time ever) :) We ended up getting pretty great 1/2 price tickets to see The Phantom of the Opera- and it was incredible! The entire day in NYC was spectacular, and hard to top!

After a restful day on Wednesday, we headed through NJ traffic for the coast on Thursday. It was fun to see the ocean, and to b reminded of exactly how close I am to the edge of our country! It's a big strange, being from SD and all. The beach was great, but cold enough to warrant leaving after about 10 minutes... :) (did I mention I'm getting used to thinking 30 degrees and wind is cold?)

The weekend following my friends' departure, I rested up, cleaned, and put my life in order to begin classes this week...and my gosh, it's already Wednesday! I've had my three classes (New Testament, Radical Reformation, and Speech) in addition to my audition for the play! (which I will be taking for 3 credits). It's going to be a lovely semester, I can already tell!

And as is often the case when I become more familiar with my surroundings, I tend to get busier as well...I have agreed to work with the children's program at church, I have scheduled some weekly coffee dates with a few friends, the group of friends in the picture on my previous post have begun a bible study, and I am continuing a prayer group from last semester. Also, I add in my usual volleyball nights and yoga class, the option of attending daily chapel, my work at the institute for youth ministry, finding time to be present to everyone in my life (both friends here and friends and family afar) AND AJ is moving out here in a few days!

Whew, yes- the semester has indeed begun!

I will really enjoy my classes, especially since one of the them happens to be an art and theology class- the play!!! The play cast will be announced toward the end of the week, so next post you will find out my (either daunting or not-s0-daunting) role in the play!


I am truly blessed with my life here, and I have so much to look forward to, including the integration of my life with AJ and my life here. (and getting the final wedding plans completed). Also, we just found out that my current pastors here (a great couple- Seth and Stephanie) will be happy to do pre-marital counseling for us! I am thrilled!


Oh yes, so much to mention- I am also visiting a hospital tomorrow where I might possibly do my field education experience next school year. I am excited for the opportunity to be involved in hospital chaplaincy, and although it's a 45 minute drive, I'm hoping it works out well. The supervisor seems really great- and he's RCA (which has become a familiar and welcoming association for me) :)

Well, that's about all on the news front. I am missing my family and friends who are spread throughout so many states and countries...but I do anticipate a beautiful reunion of love in four months when.....AJ AND I GET MARRIED!!!!! Looking forward to seeing everyone together at last.

May hope and blessing be present in our lives as we seek after the God of love, the God of mystery, the God of redemption.

Emily



3 comments:

  1. beautiful. peace and prayers to you. can't wait to see you i only 4 months can't believe it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to read about your life and times! I hope Nealy remembered to hug you from me! YIPPEE for A.J. moving out there...so glad to hear that! Love you, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EMILY!!!
    I can't believe it, but I lost the link for your blog and *just* discovered it again. I'm going to get all caught up, but I'm so glad that you're doing well, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete